If you are not in California, you may not be aware of the power struggle that has broken out over the last week about a brain dead teenager on life support in Oakland, Califonia.
The most recent article we found was published early on New Year’s Day by USA Today. Their article provided a good summary of the events that have transpired over the past week. Here’s the recap:
- On Decembr 09, 2013, 13 year old Jahi McMath was admitted to Children’s Hospital for a tonsillectomy “and related procedures” to treat her sleep apnea.
- In Recovery, she began to cough up blood, then went into cardiac arrest.
- Three days later, hospital physicians pronounced her brain dead.
- A few days before Christmas, the hospital “moved to take her off the machines that are keeping her heart and lungs going.”
- “Her family, citing religious beliefs and the hope that she will pull through, wants to continue life support” and obtained a court order to stay the hospital from discontinuing life support.
- Jahi needs two surgeries before she can be safely transported to a long-term care facility.
- “The hospital will not permit the procedures to be performed on its premises because Jahi is legally dead…Performing medical procedures on the body of a deceased human being is simply not something Children’s Hospital can do or ask its staff to assist in doing,” he (lawyer Douglas Straus) said.
- The family has not yet found a facility willing to accept Jahi.
- The court order expires on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 unless the family is able to successfully appeal the decision.
What health insurance coverage do you have in place, or would you need, for the surgeries Jahi had and may still require?
What about long term care insurance? We do not usually think of such needs until we are much older than Jahi, but, as you can see, there is sometimes a need sooner.
And, what about life insurance? Did you purchase coverage for your children?
Please share your thoughts in the comments section below, or on our facebook page.
Of course, if you would like to review your various insurance needs as well as current coverage, please complete the confidential form below, and one of our experts will be in touch with you right away!